I Did Something Rather Bold to the Brick on our Home

I have always loved smeared brick. I have always not  loved the herringbone brick on the front of our home.  I love herringbone pattern but I think that the mortar joint between the bricks is way to thick. It bugs me!!  I have tried to figure out how to smear the brick but did not want to paint it and then have it sandblasted off. So, I had a “what the heck” moment last weekend and decided to mix up some of my white cement with sand that I used in this post and randomly apply it to the bricks on the front of our home. My reasoning was that if I did not like it the worst that could happen  would be that I would have to scrub it back off.

I did not think to take a picture before I started – so this photo shows half of it done and half not done.

Here is a close up – you can tell that the mortar joints are a tad to large.

I am happy with the results. The freaky thing is that for the next 3 nights we had rain storms and I knew I would wake up to all of it washed off – but it has stayed on. After a couple of weeks I will need to seal it.

 

How I did it:

I mixed 1/2 cup white cement ( has to be white!!) with 1 cup sand. Slowly added 1/2 cup water until I got a consistency that I would stick to a yucky paint brush. I started applying the mixture from the mortar in. I changed up my application with each brick so that it would be random.

It will dry rather quick. When it got  dry and chalky I would literally take my hand and rub off some of the cement – especially where brush strokes appeared.

Thanks for visiting!!

Debra

 

Demo & Dust on Delaware – How We Aged Brick

This is a before photo of our kitchen.

 Then it ended up looking like this when the walls were torn down and opened up.

This is opposite wall of the kitchen –   not to confuse you but the fireplace you are looking at used to be full brick and at one point they covered it with the concrete formed facade. It would be very difficult to take down. My plan for today is to have it fauxed to look like cast stone and then patina the copper – however than plan could be changed.

Here’s the dilemma………….someone in the past sealed the brick! Then added to that 45 years of the heat from cooking that just made the brick even harder.

Not even after 2 cans of Kleen Strip Stripper it still did’t have the look I was after – but at least all gunk and sheen came off.

A tad better but still not what I want.

This is my inspiration photo and the look I am after.

SO – I now have a lady brick mason!!! She is awesome and came to my rescue!! We started off with one part sifted cement to two parts sand.

…….and we started painting it on

…….and then we started taking a scrub brush and taking off what we did not want – and it was too gray for what I wanted. So now plan B is to use white cement using the same ratio.

Looking more like my inspiration photo which is like “smeared” brick.

It was a bit of trial and error – but I “think” I have the look I want. I will need to seal it in a couple of weeks while the cement is hardening and curing.

Try to imagine cabinets on either side and I am also getting a Wolf range with 2 ovens and 6 burners. I know I should get the traditional red knobs but I am going with the safe black.

Now we are ready for the painter to get started. It has taken forever to get the new dry wall sanded to perfection. More on that in another post.

Thanks for visiting!

Debra